Development and Operation of Offshore Wind Farms
The development of offshore wind farms is not only technically but also legally complex. In particular, the regulatory framework for offshore energy is subject to frequent significant change.
We ensure that the approval and regulatory framework fits the project to be realized. Frequently approvals need to be amended e.g. to shift grid connection dates or to envisage other modifications of the applicable regulatory framework. The underlying terms of an approval can often be "outdated" and need to be renewed so as to take into account technological developments. In addition, the project schedule and milestones may need to be harmonized with the changing pace of network expansion. Not least, the highest possible degree of legal certainty must be achieved so as to form a sound basis for the final investment decision (FID).
We support our clients on the following:
- participation in auction processes;
- sale and purchase of project rights;
- negotiation / conclusion of required supply and cooperation agreements; and
- risk analysis for financial close / final investment decision.
Our team has advised:
- on regulatory aspects for the acquisition of offshore wind farm projects Gode Wind 1 to 3, OWP West and Borkum Riffgrund West 2;
- the development and sale of projects Aquamarin, Bernstein, Citrin, and Veja Mate;
- initiating and completing procedures for shifting a grid connection date;
- defending against objections to the renewal of a license for the construction of offshore wind farms;
- on the negotiation of supply and O&M contracts for wind turbines for an offshore wind farm project; and
- on issues arising from the day to day business of project development for multiple offshore wind farm projects.